Friday, December 15, 2017

Krampus Krispies



I really can't take credit for these.  I saw this rice krispie reindeer pinterest fail and immediately saw not failure, but a cute tasty Krampus.

I suppose I'm just being heavily influenced by the original picture I saw, but I really like the green eyes with the blue nose despite those probably being the least Krampus like colors.  I tried blue eyes with a green nose, but it didn't look right at all.  I didn't care for orange either.  The red eyes are probably most Krampus like, but I do like the feral look of the yellow eyes.

I've deviated from the original recipe.  It calls for a package of hot cocoa mix. In my opinion the only reason the average cocoa mix is appealing at all is because it's hot and usually consumed after riding the wave between hypothermia and frostbite during snow induced activities. Also adding gobs of whipped cream doesn't hurt either.  Now if they used Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies, I can understand why they would feel the need to amend the flavor.  That stuff is nasty.  I use Mom's Best Crispy Cocoa Rice, because it actually tastes good. It's recommend by four out four people*.

*Admittedly it's a small survey group of the people I live with including myself.


Krampus Krispies


3 cups Mom's Best Crispy Cocoa Rice or some other cocoa crisp rice that doesn't suck
1.5 tablespoons butter
5 oz of marshmallows (20 regular sized)

pretzel twists for horns
mini M&M's for eyes
regular M&M's for noses

candy melts, chocolate or frosting (whatever your edible adhesive of choice is)

Butter a large bowl.

Melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the marshmallows and constantly stir until the marshmallows have completely melted.

Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa krispies until all the cereal has been coated. 

Pour the mixture into your prepared bowl. Lay out a sheet of wax or parchment paper. When the mixture is cool enough pull off a chunk (3-4 tablespoons?) with buttered hands and form a loose ball. Smoosh it down on the paper to flatten the bottom and insert two horns.  Squish the ball tight enough to hold them in.

Melt your candy, chocolate or make frosting and glue on the eyes and nose.

Below is a little diagram of the best way that I found to make pretzel horns.  I used a thin paring knife and for each cut I made,the pretzel would also break in another spot on it's own.

2 comments: