Monday, October 23, 2017

Zombie Zucchini Daiquiri


Last zucchini recipe...for now.  I have to confess I've been pondering the creation of another diabolical confection, perhaps for Creepmas.

This summer I developed a bit of a reputation for bring zucchini dishes to social functions.  Jokingly, I texted a friend that I would bring zucchini margaritas to her party.  Her threat to send me home if I did was accompanied by a picture of a zucchini margarita.  I had no idea such a thing actually existed.  Well, since I swore I wouldn't bring zucchini margaritas, I had to come up with a recipe for zucchini daiquiris.  In a double blind taste test, no one could tell these had zucchini and they were deemed very yummy. In fact when I confessed I put zucchini in them, some people thought I was lying just to mess with them.


Strawberry Zucchini Daiquiri

2 oz rum
1 oz lime juice
1 oz simple syrup*
1/4 cup frozen shredded zucchini
1/2 cup frozen sliced strawberries
8 ice cubes

You can just blend it all together, but I like to do the zucchini with the liquids first to make sure it's completely blended.  And then blend again with the strawberries and ice. Freeze it for later and you can eat it like a snow cone. Repeat as necessary until you run out of zucchini.

*Simple syrup is just that, totally simple to make.  Mix equal amounts of sugar and water and heat (stovetop or microwave) until the water looks clear again. 

If you are making this in large quantities you can cheat and substitute one ounce frozen limeade concentrate plus one ounce water for the lime juice and syrup.  

I used yellow 8 ball zucchini, because that's what I had, it tastes the same.  I don't know how a normal green zucchini would affect the color of this drink.  The strawberries definitely dominate both in color and flavor.  I can only imagine if anything it would be even more zombie-tastic.  But if you didn't want any green you can always peel the zucchini before shredding.

And here's a label for you to use.  Font is A Lolita Scorned by AngeliQ.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - zucchini daiquiris - that's new to me. Remind me next year to just plant 1-2 zucchini plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only planted one and normally it would be half dead by the end of summer because I forget to water. But we had a wet summer and warm fall and they still keep coming. I guess I can’t complain too much because my ever-bearing strawberries are still producing too. Next year I'm not planting any and just buying reasonable amounts of zucchini from the farmers markets like a sane person.

      Delete