Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Creepmas Fudge



♫ It’s beginning to look a lot like Creepmas
 Death is at your door ♪
♬ And She’s handing out tasty treats
The kind you love to eat
 With shiny skulls and finger bones galore ♫
 
 
Death and I spread a little Creepmas joy in the neighborhood tonight. Did a little caroling, not that Death actually sings out loud, but she silently skulked in a very festive manner and we gifted the neighbors (at least the one's that don't scare easily) with Creepmas Fudge. If you'd like to learn more about Creepmas or check out what the other participating Creepers are doing to celebrate, click on the scary looking Creeper Santa badge. It's ok you can click, he doesn't bite...probably. 

I used the recipe for Simple Chocolate Fudge from JoyOfBaking.com.  I've never made fudge before and this recipe lives up to its name, it's super easy.  Also a good way to use up sweetened condensed milk if you have some left over from making brains.  I only made a quarter of the recipe at a time.  I've heard fudge sets really quickly, I don't know if that applies to 'simple' fudge, but doing molds takes a bit longer than just filling a pan and for my speed a fourth the recipe was just right before it started to stiffen.

So for a quarter batch you will need:

3.5 oz sweetened condensed milk 
4 oz semi sweet chocolate
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 oz white chocolate (to coat the molds)

I cheated and put the condensed milk, chocolate and butter in a glass bowl and microwaved it for 30 seconds instead of using a double boiler and that worked fine for me. Stirred a bit until it was all melted and added the vanilla.  I was a good girl and properly chopped up the chocolate, so I'm sure that helped the melting process, normally I'm pretty lazy about that and just break it into chunks. 

I used Wilton's Skeleton Finger mold and the face half of their 3D Skull mold.

Coat the molds with tempered white chocolate. Read about Truffles the Rat, if you want my shtick on tempering. For the skulls I used a little less than a 1/2 teaspoon, for the fingers a bit more, about 3/4 teaspoon. 

After the chocolate is set, make the fudge and fill the molds. I used a half tablespoon to fill the skull molds and a full tablespoon for the fingers. There was enough fudge to make 12 skulls and 6 fingers.

Cover the molds in plastic wrap and push the fudge into all the nooks and crannies and level it out.  Refrigerate until set, about an hour. 

2 comments:

  1. Your Creepmas fudge in really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it would look really cool innocently nestled among a plate of regular Christmas cookies, but I’m not feeling that ambitious.

      Delete