Sunday, December 14, 2014

Creepmas Cookies


I was inspired by Lady M to make my own Creepmas cookies yesterday on the last day of Creepmas.  Decorating is not my forte, but as long as no one is keeping score, I'll just have fun with it.

I used the Sugar Cookie recipe from JoyOfBaking.com and a buttercream recipe from I don't know where. 

Buttercream Recipe

3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Cream butter and add vanilla. Beat sugar in gradually at low speed.  Add milk and beat on high speed for 3-4 minutes.



I made white bats to pay my respects to all the bats that have and will perish from White Nose Syndrome (WNS).  It's killed millions of bats in the US and Canada and is spreading like crazy. As of the 2013-14 hibernating season it's been confirmed in 25 states and 5 Canadian provinces.

It's caused by a fungus native to European caves and doesn't affect European bat species, but has had a devastating effect here in North America.  Mortality rates for bat colonies in an infected cave can reach 100 percent. 

I know not everyone loves bats, but they are the major predator of nighttime insects which translates to less pesticide use.  They also help the environment by pollinating and dispersing seeds.  So whether you like them or not, they have a big impact and are worth fighting to save. 

This is a really well written article that I recommend reading.

There are many online resources, but here are a couple to get you started if you want to learn more:

WhiteNoseSyndrome.org
BatConservation.org

That's probably the scariest thing I've posted about this Creepmas season.  On a lighter note, here's some more cookies. While making salt dough ornaments I discovered you can make Pac Man ghosts out of tulips last Easter and skulls out of snowman butts last Creepmas.  Good news, it works with sugar dough too!






Merry Creepmas everyone! It's been a lot of fun spreading Creepmas fear, I mean cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment